Chaotic and unexpected—those are the choice of words many used to describe all that transpired in 2016. Well, Pantone hopes to usher in the new year with positivity by choosing Greenery as the colour of the year. It represents peace, hope, tranquility, sustainability… all characteristics we’re looking to anchor in 2017.
“We know what kind of world we are living in—one that is very stressful and very tense. This is the colour of hopefulness, and of our connection to nature. It speaks to what we call the ‘re-words’—regenerate, refresh, revitalise, renew,” said Leatrice Eiseman, the Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute.
It seems to be the ‘re-sounding’ opinion that the world needs to move towards the use of renewable sources of energy and work to create a better tomorrow. In fact, actor Leonardo DiCaprio’s speech at the Oscars 2016 comes to mind, where he spoke about how shooting his film, The Revenant, showed him the importance of preserving and restoring nature. We’re seeing the idea take form in dialogue and action, through books, media, social platforms and commentary… it was only time before the creative greats began canvassing it too. Pantone wants you to “Bring the outdoors inside”. They’re trying to plant an idea in your head, and we’re all for it.
Interestingly, despite neons and stark hues dominating 2016’s colour trends in fashion and makeup palettes, Pantone’s opted for an elegant, understated yellow-green shade that one is more likely to associate with posh home interiors. Think avocados, and you just might get the picture. Or, you could watch the video they used to make the big reveal:
PANTONE 15-0343 #Greenery is the PANTONE #coloroftheyear2017 selection ?? A fresh and zesty yellow-green shade that evokes the first days of spring when nature’s greens revive, restore and renew, #Greenery symbolizes the reconnection we seek with nature, one another and a larger purpose amid a complex social and political landscape.
Fashion Buys That Are In Sync With Pantone’s Colour Of The Year
What’s not to love about green? We’ve been rocking the emerald and bottle green with our wardrobe for a while now and this new shade, it poses an interesting challenge that we’re excited to take on—especially after spotting all the stunning fashion must-haves in the colour of the year. (Honestly, we usually look past them because the more obvious reds, pinks, blues, and blacks are on our radar.) But, could this be our new favourite colour? By the look of things, we’re going to have to say, “Hell, yeah!”
- Stay ahead of the pack and add some green pop to your wardrobe this winter. Buy the Nasty Gal’s Bright Ideas Knit Beanie here.
- We love coloured stones for formal occasions that require you to class it up. Also, how beautiful would these earrings look with an LBD? Buy EWA’s Pear Drop Earrings here.
- Big bold watches make for the best accessories, especially when they’ve got a coloured dial that catches the light just so. This year, ditch the blue and pink dials in favour of the Torzieri Silver Tone Watch With Green Dial which you can buy here.
- Sling, shimmer, green—this bag is a neat way to pack in all of 2017’s fashion trends. Buy the Ted Baker Colour By Numbers Shaw Leather Bag here.
- We’re loving these Green High-Heeled Sandals by Anna Field (buy here). A great pair for lunch, it’s comfortable, fresh, just the right amount of dressy, and will do full justice to that pedicure.