Spotted at the Men’s Fall and Women’s Pre-Fall 2017 showcase, the first outing of Balmain accessories had everyone praising creative director Olivier Rousteing, who is responsible for bringing shoes and handbags back to the fashion house.
The collection is dark, edgy, detailed, extremely fierce and glamorous, and totally tailor-made for the #BalmainArmy led by the likes of the Jenner-Kardashian clan, and of course, Kanye West himself. Before we can even begin to break it down for you, we suggest you watch the video release of the collection to truly set the mood:
Amazing, isn’t it? The gold hardware and the stud details are reminiscent of Balmain’s love for the nightlife; the quilted details and black canvas vibe with the brand’s gothic and edgy DNA; the tassels and the saddle bag (half-moon) shape are a play on femininity for the women who lead the army… it’s exactly what you would expect from Balmain’s debut range of accessories.
And don’t you worry; Rousteing’s made Balmain bags for every price point:
- The collection has gilded couture pieces for celebs like West and Kardashian.
- Versatile, subtle handbags for Balmain’s working women.
- Easy on the pocket handbags for the couture lover who can’t afford Balmain couture.
“I think accessories is a discussion that you have with yourself. . . First I want it to be part of my silhouette aesthetically, but at the same time, it’s 50 percent the beauty of it, 50 percent the comfort of it. That’s something I really love to work on because I’ve really grown up a lot in sketching this”. Thank you, Olivier Rousteing. We really love this one!
PS: Balmain’s original line of handbags which were later discontinued weren’t quite as bold because back then the fashion house was still etching its DNA. That said, it did include key pieces that were great for everyday wear and are definitely worth your money even today:
- Perfect for when you’re at the club and killing it on the dance floor, buy the Balmain Baguette with gold hardware here.
- Versatile enough to be your everyday bag or your workwear arm candy, buy the Balmain Pablito velvet nude shoulder bag here.
- For a throwback to vintage couture, grab this one from the archives. Buy the black Geometric Pouch here.