Have you seen The Devil Wears Prada? Replace Andy with Nicole Pearl and that’s how this Chicago native got her start in magazines.
You may have seen her as a beauty and style expert on TV or mentioned in The New York Times. She’s been on national shows such as NBC’s TODAY, Today with Kathie Lee & Hoda, and Access Hollywood Live; she’s the resident beauty expert for Chicago’s Windy City Live, and she appears on morning news programs throughout the U.S.
As a national magazine beauty editor, Nicole has worked at or written for Us Weekly, Marie Claire, In Style, Cosmopolitan, Shop Etc., Health, Self, Shape, Oprah, Seventeen, Star, Working Mother, prevention.com, makeup.com and the list goes on. With her editorial background and industry expertise, Nicole launched her The Beauty Girl blog, which organically grew into a business and platform solidifying her roles as an on-air host, expert and influencer.
Let’s hear from her.
1. Talk us through the Beauty Girl’s pathway- how did it start and how has it progressed?
I used to be a magazine beauty editor in NYC. When I moved back to Chicago, I was freelancing full-time, and I started my blog on the side. When people learned my background was editorial, they had all sorts of questions about products and trends and looked to me for service recommendations and so forth. As a result, the blog organically grew, and I continue to follow my philosophy: “Beauty Shouldn’t Be A Bitch.”
2. What are the three most basic make up tips that you would give to all our readers?
1. Wear SPF
daily. Even if it’s a moisturizer with SPF. If you don’t protect your skin, eventually it will catch up with you. It will be much harder to conceal spots and to achieve an even makeup application if you don’t take care of your skin.
2. Less is more. Always apply one layer and then build on that.
3. Curl lashes for 15 seconds, apply mascara
, do the rest of your makeup while the mascara dries, then curl one final time to set the lashes.
3. What are the top beauty trends you would suggest our readers to try this fall?
I’m loving the bold eye liner
look because it makes a statement yet is low maintenance. No need for shadow. I’m also loving strong brows. I’ve always preferred natural looking arches, and accentuating them creates a polished look that frames your face.
4. What according to you is going to be the hero beauty trend of all?
This season was about the eyes. Whether it was magenta shadow or floating liner
, there were so many way to accentuate the eyes.
5. What was your favorite beauty trend this SS 2018?
I continue to love nail art such as negative space nails
. It’s crisp, clean and easy to DIY.
6. What’s one beauty trend you regret trying?
I don’t have regrets. Sometimes I look back and say to myself, “What was I thinking?” But for the most part, I’ve never been one to fear making a drastic change because beauty isn’t generally permanent, and it’s fun to express yourself through the different stages in your life.
7. Give us a quick tip on how to brighten up eyes in minutes?
Finish your look by dabbing a soft shimmer beige or white shadow along the inner corners of the eyes by the tear ducts. It will give you an instant brightness.
8. What are your favorite makeup brands?
9. What are some of your favorite skin-care products?
I’m obsessed with the Active Hydration Serum from Rodan + Fields. I love it so much, I’ve partnered with the brand as an Independent Consultant. I’m loyal to Clinique’s eye makeup remover and Tata Harper body oil.
10. What according to you is the future of beauty and make up blogging in the coming future?
It’s such a visual space, I think the video component will continue to grow.