Noticed how the red lip has become a go-to for celebs at red carpet events? Even though last year lured us in with deep purple, black, blue and green lipsticks spotted around the fashion circuit, movie stars tend to be more cautious than the runway clan hence, we’ve been fed the same red hot lips for what feels like an eternity now.
Well, this year at the 89th Academy Awards which aired on 26th Feb, we couldn’t help but notice the tides are changing. Sure, the scarlet hues made an appearance but they ran deeper towards maroon and Oxblood shades. And on the other hand, nudes made a comeback in various palettes and we totally loved the throwback to the ’90s albeit, we were served up an upgraded and refined take on the trend. Here’s how your favourite stars did their hair and makeup, and products that can help you get the looks:
Trend Alert: Blood Bath
Emma Stone: The Oscar winner for Best Actress went for the classic red lip with a twist. The brick lips, brown smokey eyes and soft curls were all reminiscent of a ’40s starlet.
Nicole Kidman: The bright red lip and tons of mascara with a neat updo was a safe bet but with Nicole’s porcelain skin creating the perfect contrast, we’re not holding any grudges.
Emma Roberts: Somewhere in the middle, Ms Roberts managed to hook us with a versatile mid-tone red and glitter makeup that’s right on trend for 2017.
Get The Look:
- Feeling the classic red lip too? This Estee Lauder lipstick will just do the trick. And guess what… it’s super long-lasting. PS. Dab powder over your first layer of lipstick and then add the second layer; this will prevent smudging and colour transfer. Buy here.
- Soft eyes with a bright lip are often a winning combination. Avoid adding too much colour on your lids and instead opt for fuller lashes using a voluminous mascara, like this one by Stila (buy here).
- To achieve those gold-rimmed eyes like Emma Roberts, use this eyeshadow pencil by Charlotte Tilbury (buy here) to fill in your lids and line your lower lashes.
Trend Alert: Smokin’ Brown-Eyed Beauties
Chrissy Teigen: This lady never fails to create buzz on the red carpet—whether for dancing with her hubby, posting cray-cray after party updates, or even wearing a crotch baring dress on the red carpet. Teigen pulled a Kylie with the brown-on-brown smokey eye and lip combination.
Janelle Monae: After impressing us with an impeccable performance in Hidden Figures, Monae didn’t fail us on the red carpet either. Her cute pixie accessorized with a jeweled headband and the bronzed-beauty look made this star shine.
Taraji P Henson: The plunging neckline, messy bedhead hair, and bold eye makeup made this Hidden Figures lead look fierce AF.
Get The Look:
- Bronze away, ladies! Achieve that summer glow like these celebrities using the BobbiBrown bronzer. Buy here.
- Hourglass Cosmetics’ eyeshadow palette (buy here) is all you’d need to get that killer smokey eye. Use the blue eyeshadow to line your lower lashes and find yourself looking smokin’ like Taraji.
- Rule of thumb for smokey eyes: Always opt for a nude lip. This Bare Minerals shimmer lip gloss (buy here) will do just the trick.
- Janelle Monae’s eyebrows cannot be more on point. Get bold brows using the Benefit eyebrow enhancer (buy here).
Trend Alert: Shimmery Nudes
Scarlett Johansson: The right amount of shimmer and pink made Scarlett pretty as a picture (or even a painting). Paired with a classic mohawk and nude lip, Ms Johansson is winning the red carpet.
Michelle Williams: Need a lesson in understated elegance? Well, be ready to get schooled by Michelle Williams. Despite wearing a fuss-free black and white gown by LV, she kept the makeup matte and muted, and let her blonde locks do all the talking.
Halle Berry: Honestly, we like the retro-disco hairdo and are glad she opted for neutrals to complement her gold highlights. Curls gone wild and makeup FTW, all rolled into one.
Felicity Jones: If you’re going heavy on the eyeliner, feel free to temper down everything else. Like, Felicity here looks extremely endearing with this fresh face. It helps her stand out from the crowd for all the right reasons.
Get The Look:
- Want curls like Halle Berry? Use the John Frieda frizz ease for a polished mane. Buy here.
- This nude shimmery palette by Yves Saint Laurent (buy here) will help you achieve Scarlett’s gorgeous eye makeup.
- No makeup look is complete without a nude lipstick. Try NARS’ must-have shade (buy here) for a silky finish.
- We hear the Stila eyeliner is a hot favourite on the high street (buy here). Use it to recreate Felicity’s wingtip.