This week we caught up with Mary Kate Mcgrath and got some amazing insights on her take on Fashion and Success. Mary Kate Mcgrath is the Editor-In-Chief of PureWow.com. We are in love the unique and deeply honest content generated by PureWow, every passing day they are spanning the breadth of fashion, home, food, beauty and giving us major inspirations for day-to-day take on life!
1. Describe PureWow in three words?
Fun. Uplifting. Make-your-day-the-best-day-pos
2. How does PureWow balance creativity with commerce?
Since day one, our mission has been to produce content that provides utility and makes your life more enjoyable. Whether it’s a hack for hanging your sweaters, or the $100 cashmere sweater you absolutely need to buy. It’s all about being authentic.
3. How would you describe your own personal style?
There’s nothing I love more than a good juxtaposition (in fashion and in life); a mix of high and low, in price and silhouettes. A gorgeous Caroline Costas blouse with my Zara jeans; an über feminine Tanya Taylor dress with Veja sneakers; Outdoor Voices leggings with a YSL crossbody. Because fashion should never be too serious, right?
4. Share the secret recipe of how you allure your everyday look?
Live by the motto surprise and delight and try to always have one item that catches someone else’s attention and one that delights me – for example, wearing something super shiny that’s fun for someone else to see and wearing something ultra soft or comfy for myself.
5. The three beauty products you wouldn’t leave the house without!
Chanel red lipstick, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Concealer, Le Labo perfume.
6. Which fashion decade would you like to time travel to? And why?
7. Name 5 hottest trends for the next season.
A lot of pastels, specifically lavender, as well as muted metallics. I love seeing those two worn together. Dark-wash denim is going to be everywhere, and for accessories kitten heels and belt bags (the “fashion” word for fanny packs) will be the go-to styles.
8. What was the biggest fashion faux pas from last season?
I wouldn’t necessarily call it a faux pas but, I was very close to buying a wears-only-once Valentino tracksuit and after seeing Tracee Ellis Ross in it, I realized I would never be able to have worn ever again – because she absolutely crushed it.
9. If you had to curate a capsule wardrobe, what would be your top five picks?
10. What pieces do you love investing in and why?
Foundation pieces from fashion houses you truly love – my YSL crossbody, my Saint Laurent gold choker – this choker has been worn every single season since I bought it; also my red Burberry trench coat that is ridiculous and has a high price tag, yet cost-per-wear is next to nothing at this point (as it stands the test of time).
11. What are your go-to online resource for style inspiration? Who is your style icon?
PureWow (duuuh) and I have an inspo seasonally: Summer is Bridget Bardot and Winter is Kate Moss. Basically, I want to be a Parisian.
12. Name your 5 favorite fashion Brands/Designers? What is it about their designs that appeals to you maximum?
- Saint Laurent because it is uber frenchy and chic with a more masculine cut; looks better on my frame.
- Industry Standard for jeans because I love their founder and supporting other startups.
- Everlane because I never knew a cashmere sweater priced so perfectly.
- Rebecca Minkoff for flirty summer dresses and on this rainy NYC day you’d want to be able to be in one.
- Prada because I love their design and their clothing reflects thinking of what’s next versus what’s now… you feel inspired in their clothing.
13. Could you share your favorite spots for finding fashion treasures?
- Moda Operandi,
- Net a Porter, and
- I secretly love finding a new sneaker from a bigger brand and then having Amazon Prime send it to me the next day.