Angela is founder of About A Mom, a popular family and lifestyle blog. She is a single mom and native Floridian who enjoys sharing all that Central Florida has to offer. On her blog she treats About A Mom readers to ideas and inspiration for mealtime, family fun, travel and more.
Let’s hear from her!
1.What inspired you to start your career in blogging with “About A Mom“?
I was an avid reader of blogs when I began About A Mom as a hobby, almost eight years ago. It was a way for me to put both the creative and analytical sides of my brain to use. During the first few months things really started to click, and about a year later I began to realize that I could make blogging a career. I’ve been blogging professionally ever since.
2. What’s your signature style?
What’s my signature style? I have to say that it has evolved considerably over the last few years. I used to wear a lot of black, down to my nail polish even. Maybe a little rock n’ roll. In my forties, I’ve really begun to embrace my feminine side more, and now you could probably say my style is Florida casual.
Florals, ruffles and flip flops. Yeah, that’s pretty much me.
3. Tell us about your favorite part of being a mom
Oh, I do love being a mom. My son is 31 and my daughter is 10, so I’ve been at this mom thing for quite some time. Chasing my little girl around is definitely helping me stay young. I love watching them grow up and become individuals and unique in their own ways. I like knowing that I had a part in shaping that.
4. What’s your ultimate secret to balancing career and family?
To-do lists!! I live by them, and also keeping my calendar up-to-date. I even work my fun time into my daily schedule. As a single mom and business owner, I feel like I am always being pulled in different directions. I really make an effort to have enough down time to stay sane. My little girl and I love cruising. Unplugging for those few days and soaking in the sunshine keeps me going.
5. Where do you find inspirations for your recipes?
I’m lucky in that I grew up in a home with a mom who cooked amazing meals for the family, and always encouraged me to try new things. I often go back to my childhood favorites and try to put my own unique spin on them or I’ll take a classic recipe and make it a little healthier.
When all else fails, there is Pinterest.
6. Your fondest food memory?
My mom’s special occasion lasagna. It always made me look forward to having company for dinner.
7. How do you manage to keep your skin healthy while running on a busy schedule like this? Name 3 beauty products you swear by…
My skincare routine could be described as simple and affordable. The three products I love,
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Moisturizer
- Lancome Visionnaire Eye Cream
- Benefit BADgal BANG! Volumizing Mascara
8. Let’s talk fashion, share the secret recipe of how you allure your everyday look?
I really like the natural look, and try to achieve a look that appears effortless. I stick to simple pieces that are comfortable, yet flattering.
9. What would you never leave home without?
10. Name your 5 favorite fashion Brands/ Designers? What is it about their designs that appeals to you maximum?
I mostly gravitate towards brands and designers who are feminine, classic, a little flirty and super comfortable. My favorites are so eclectic, and some of them are Kate Spade, Vera Wang, Free People, LUXOLOGY, and Nicole Miller.
11. What advice can you offer moms who would like to join the blogging sphere?
My best advice would be to do your homework, be authentic and find your tribe. Being successful in the blogging sphere takes a lot of work and commitment, but it is very doable if you work smart, stay true to yourself, and find a good support system.