Let’s meet Alli Smith, the founder and Editor of An Alli Event, a party expert which has recipes, menus and decor ideas for everyone and every taste. Let’s hear from her on her journey!
How did I come up with An Alli Event? It’s an inside joke, but I’ll let you in on the secret. In the past, every time I engaged in the first steps of planning a party, my daughters would sigh, roll their eyes and jokingly say, “Oh gosh, another Alli Event.” But who constantly calls me for party, menu and recipe advice? Who’s rolling their eyes now? It’s me!
When I was in the early design stages of this blog, I asked my daughters to help me come up with one fabulous line that would define and set me apart from all other blogs. Daughter #1 said (and I quote), “From the window to the wall . . . I make a great cheese ball.” They were no help at all!
My passions are writing, cooking, and throwing a mean party (that’s a good thing). You’ll find me sharing party planning tips as well as recipes, menus and decor ideas. There’s usually a story behind the recipes that have been handed down through generations of amazing southern cooks and I’m proud to share the stories with you.
All of my parties have to be fun, frugal and fabulous! My décor is always simple, yet stunning. My food is scrumptious and satisfying. Stick around and I’ll show you how to take my ideas and make them your own.
1. What’s your signature style?
Casual – a combination of elegance and comfort
2. Tell us about your favorite part of being a mom and grandmom.
Watching them grow! For instance, I remember when my oldest grandson started taking piano lessons when he was only six years old. Those first few tunes he learned were very basic. Now that he’s 13, he can play difficult pieces and plays beautifully. Watching him grow in that area has been a joy.
3. What’s your ultimate secret to balancing career and family?
I don’t know that you can ever completely balance work and family. Something always has to give. You just learn to adjust. I work from home and in the beginning, it was difficult to separate the two. Now I have “office” hours and I’m learning to shut work off in order to be present with my family.
4. What is the best thing a mother can do whilst raising her child?
Teach them to be loving, kind, respectful and independent.
5. Since you are traveler by soul, Where was your most recent trip to?
6. What are the top 3 destinations that stands high on your bucket list and why?
Paris, London, and Madrid – I’ve never traveled to Europe!
7. How do you manage to keep your skin healthy and fresh while traveling? What is your everyday beauty routine while traveling?
I try to keep the same beauty routine while traveling. My skin is dry, so moisturizer is my best friend. I never go to bed with makeup on and besides my daily cleansing routine, I also make sure to use a gentle face scrub once a week. As far as makeup goes, I have a five-minute routine and prefer a subtle, natural look.
8. When we talk about events, What kind of events do you usually give suggestions for?
Entertaining at home, including decor, tablescapes, and recipes.
9. Let’s talk fashion, What’s 1 fashion product do you splurge on?
10. Name 5 of your favorite brands.
11. What would you never leave home without?
12. What keeps you going in life?
13. One piece of advice that you would like to offer moms who are planning to join the blogging sphere?
Just do it! But before you take the plunge, spend some time researching and learning about the blogging world. It’s hard work, but very rewarding. Stay true to yourself and don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle.